Baroque Garden Altes Gebäu and Fontanapark Chur

The Alte Gebäu was built between 1727 and 1729 by order of the envoy Peter von Salis-Soglio. It is one of the Canton of Graubünden’s most prized manor houses, as is attested to by the original grotto. The original Baroque site was altered in landscape around 1860 and then remodeled, along with the nearby square with its monument to Fontana, to its current design in around 1960. The park maintenance plan strives to restore it to its original size and proportions. A transparent fence will separate Fontanaplatz from the street. Herb beds take up the horticultural charisma of the former gardens of the city moat. The sequoia tree has been retained. The inner Baroque garden becomes an intimate, tranquil oasis with a sunny flower parterre in the center and a protective yew arbor shielding it from the street.

Client

Gartenbauamt Stadt Chur

Project Info

Park maintenance 1998
Realisation 2005-2006
Area 4'500 m²